Saturday 4 December 2010

I like to DIY

As the title suggests, if I can make it myself, I DIY it. So thats what I did when I wanted a wired remote for my DSLR camera, a Pentax K110D. This remote, incidentally, will work with most camera's that take a 2.5mm mini jack for the trigger. It was not that hard at all to fab up, considering I had a nice little case I could put it in. Namely, an old remote control car one that I had laying around. More on that in a bit.


First off, here's the basic wiring schematic of whats going on. The basic principle behind how this works is that you have to complete the circuit from ground to one of the stereo poles, for it to either perform a half click, or full click. The tip of the plug will be your shutter, the ring will be your half press, and the sleeve will be your common ground. I used 2 momentary switches that I bought at The Source / Radioshack, and a toggle switch as well for continuous shooting, like when you go and do star trails.

For my wire, i just used some junk cat5 cable that I had, and it seems to do the trick just nicely. For tools, all I needed was my soldering iron, some solder, my drill and some drill bits to make the correct sized hold in the casing.


This is the final product. Red takes a picture, black focus', and the the toggle in the center is constant shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment